Poll

Which of the following new names do you prefer the most, if you have another suggestion just post it.

South Coast Whitewater  (SCW)
0 (0%)
Vancouver Whitewater Paddlers  (VWP)
2 (8.7%)
Coastal Whitewater Paddlers   (CWP)
0 (0%)
Vancouver Whitewater Club   (VWC)
18 (78.3%)
West Coast Whitewater    (WCW)
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: February 06, 2017, 12:11:23 AM

Author Topic: Club Name Change  (Read 2534 times)

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
  • Paddle, Eat, Sleep, -Repeat
    • Facebook
Club Name Change
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:23 AM »
We are changing the Name of the club to better reflect the nature of our activites, to be more inclusive and since we have to update our bylaws and constitution it seemed like a good timing. So Choose your Favorite, or post a suggestion.

This was voted on at the at the AGM  and all where in favour.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:34:47 PM by Chris Campbell »
There is no such thing as getting lost, only discovering new places and paths.

Chris Campbell 778919755four

Erik F

• VKC Member
  • Looper
Re: Club Name Change
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:49:03 AM »
A couple thoughts:
If we're to be called something like Whitewater Vancouver, do we intend to "include" rafting? I've nothing against rafts, but for some reason unlike south of us, in Canada rafting seems to be mostly a commercial activity. What about jet boating? I think that's considered a legit whitewater sport now. What about the swimming-in-rapids-with-a-mask-and-fins game? How do the local canoe clubs feel about us potentially poaching members? How about Canyoneering?
(H) 778 654 8230 (sorry, no sms)

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 04:18:14 AM »
historically we have allowed rafts and canoes and even SUP boarders to join us on the river, I dont think we need to be kayak exclusive anymore, this was covered at the AGM and was voted on as a step forward for the club. I dont think we need to worry about jet boats or goggles and fins. And any canoeist who want to join up are free to, no one is forcing them and we are not going around canvasing other clubs to gain membership.

Curtis

• VKC Member
  • Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
I don't really see any need to change the club name. Maybe it's because I've been a member for a loooong time and I'm used to our current name. We're predominantly kayakers so it makes sense. I don't think canoeists have ever felt excluded if they wanted to join(Ross you don't feel excluded do you?). I vote we keep VKC!!

yboat

• VKC Member
  • Wheeler
    • Tamihi Five-0 Canoe Slalom
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
None of those really roll off the tongue like "VKC". I don't love the reference to "coastal" or even coast, Vancouver Whitewater Club is probably the most obvious. By the way, I'm a canoeist, and I don't feel excluded or really see a need for a change.

A name change might see more canoeists paddle with the VKC, because not many are as bold as Roscoe, or live by a popular kayaking run. For newer canoeists, it probably just doesn't occur to them to join the kayak club - they don't feel excluded because they don't think about it. But most canoeists around here who paddle class III probably already belong to the VKC anyway, and keep their memberships with the canoe club.

Some of this probably depends on what the VKC wants in the long-term - do you want a few more class III canoeists to get more involved with the VKC, or are you open to newbie canoeists looking to be shown the ropes?

I can't speak for the canoe club(s), but if the VKC does something to attract more ww canoeists, I wouldn't necessarily feel badly for the canoe clubs: they have had equal opportunity to attract and retain those paddlers, but as boat designs have changed and skills have increased, the canoe clubs have resisted adding new trips or training that appeal to class III canoeists, so I'd see it as more their strategic choice then anything the VKC did. The distinction might have more to do with what kind of trips you paddle than what type of boat you paddle.

That said, if the VKC gets particularly focused on attracting canoeists (for example, if the VKC is opening up more to canoes, are they going to start offering training in ww canoeing?), I guess it could ruffle some feathers. But, if there's a gap to be filled and one club choses to address it, fair is fair. Clubs aside, it could actually be good for ww canoeing to give more kayakers a chance to get interested in ww canoeing. I'm probably getting ahead of what the VKC's intentions may be or how this might unfold - I don't know how much attracting canoeists plays into the name change - but I don't see this as a big deal. It would be too bad if good canoeists go to the VKC and stop supporting new canoeists in the canoe club, but these things evolve.

The only thing canoes are excluded from with the VKC are the pool sessions, and that may not change with the name change, whatever works for the organizers.

What about naming it after a river that many club members identify with, like the Capilano Whitewater Club ("CWC" has a better ring than VWC or VWP)?

Pat.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:25:42 AM by yboat »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One Blade  -  Two Clubs
Let me know if you want to try ww canoeing

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
we are simply giving more options to all troupes of whitewater paddlers, and personally I really like having canoes along, aside from the entertainment factor they are really easy to recover/rescue compared to a flooded kayak lol

And we don't exclude canoes at least not since I have been president, we just ask that they be of the more modern shorter style if someone asks if they can bring a canoe. We do however exclude sea kayaks as they are simply too long.

For those questioning the name change it was adresssed at the AGM,  it's both statistic and helps reflect our intentions, we are not a kayak club, we are a whitewater (mostly kayak club). I would also like to cut back on inquiries from "Jack and Jill" wanting to paddle around deep cove lol which happens often enough to become an annoyance.

marvellous

• VKC Member
  • Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
How about Fraser Valley Whitewater? FVW rolls off the tongue pretty well, don't cha think?

Canoes are good for rescue practice so we need a couple of those on the river once in a while.
Marvin

lance

• Surfer
  • VKC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
 Not attached to any of the options  but looking ahead I'm guessing we are going to change our domain name as well.  Think it's important we consider how easy it will be to find the web page.  We have this problem with the Recreational Canoeing Assoc. of BC.  The Roofing Contractors Association of BC is what always gets top billing :)  When you search the options listed  here is what currently comes up on google.  Have listed them in order.  May require us putting out some money to google to stay on top of the search results depending on what we choose.  The fact that I took the time to do this makes me worry I'm suffering from Cabin Fever and desperately need to go paddling.

South Coast Whitewater - Whitewater Canoe club of South Wales followed by New South Wales rafting
Vancouver Whitewater Paddlers - VKC
Coastal Whitewater Paddlers  - Squamish Paddling Club followed by Coastal BC followed by Canoe Kayak Nova Scotia
Vancouver Whitewater club - VKC
West Coast Whitewater - Destinyriver.com followed by ecorafting.co.nz   followed Whitewater ski resort
Lance
778 558 o848
Port Moody

UKRob

• Spinner
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
Vancouver whitewater club. Or Vancouver whitewater paddlers.

Having coast or coastal in the names implies sea kayaking in my opinion. That also throws a larger area in my mind which encompasses squamish. I don't think squamish club will like that. It sounds like we're trying to take people from a larger area.
6o4 349 939four

wavegnome

• VKC Member
  • Looper
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
there was once a great club of kayakers
who changed their name to suit some detractors
it took a while 'till they saw
the name wasn't a flaw
it became clear that the name wasn't a factor

craig

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
There once was a web forum wavegnome
To the river he did no longer roam
With his Jackson allstar
And four by four car
Rarely left his sweet city home

;)

Ken R

• Looper
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
So now it seems we are emerging as the Vancouver Whitewater and Poetry Club. Perhaps we should include a limerick-reading circle at the pool session this coming Saturday.

I think Lance's point about domain names and google searches is important. We want to be easy to find, with a name that clearly defines who we are. 

Like Rob, I'm for Vancouver Whitewater Club, or perhaps Vancouver Whitewater Paddlers as a second-place choice.

Ken
Ken
604-556-85six1

Ken R

• Looper
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »
By the way, if people find that VWC isn't as catchy to say as VKC (and someone should perhaps point out that to a British reader this option stands for "Vancouver Water Closet" - aka, Vancouver toilet), we have the option of using a different shortened name instead of the initials. For example, Vancouver Whitewater Club could just as easily become something like "Van Whitewater," with a van-whitewater.com domain name.

In other words, we shouldn't let the initials be the biggest factor in this decision.
Ken
604-556-85six1

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Spot on ken, we simply want an name that best represents the club without seeming too exclusive, we had a hoot when rafts and kayaks joined up for runs, and I would like to see more of that as it gives people the opertunity to expand our roaming grounds by brining more people from more areas, people who can give beta or advice on runs in their local area.

Curtis

• VKC Member
  • Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
I still prefer to leave it as is but if we must change the club name(and website, etc.) how about Vancouver Whitewater Association? VWA looks and sounds good and association sounds so much more important and all encompassing than club! All the little clubs would look at us and say "Wow! They're an Association! They must be very important!" 😁