Poll

Which of the following new names do you prefer the most, if you have another suggestion just post it.

South Coast Whitewater  (SCW)
0 (0%)
Vancouver Whitewater Paddlers  (VWP)
2 (8.7%)
Coastal Whitewater Paddlers   (CWP)
0 (0%)
Vancouver Whitewater Club   (VWC)
18 (78.3%)
West Coast Whitewater    (WCW)
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: February 06, 2017, 12:11:23 AM

Author Topic: Club Name Change  (Read 2281 times)

Einar

• Surfer
Re: Club Name Change
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:49 PM »
As a ww canoeist and a kayaker the  VKC name never bothered me but it is great to see it in text and in discussion that the VKC has an positive inclusive attitude towards class 3 and 4 OC'ers.

Anyone that was watched Youtube has seen the modern style canoeists paddle aggressive stuff but... it's mostly out East.
A few local OC'ers have upped their game and several 'tourist OC'ers" passed thru town last year that really showed what is possible. I expect that it will be growing group over the years, as more locals invest.

It is a good idea that the VKC(?) has a welcoming attitude as these paddlers are looking for a home, whatever it is called. As few as they are they are having their own informal discussion about where they fit in.
They are potentially a good growth market for VKC membership and a pretty good fit.

** i divide OC'ers into 3 classes: Flatwater,  Moving Water (up to grade 2+/canoe club),   and WW whitewater OC'ers- grade 3 & 4; at the moment they are independants.

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
  • Paddle, Eat, Sleep, -Repeat
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »
@ Curtis

I will add that to the list, might need to do a second round although to get actual results. I will also have to re-read the new societies act to see if using association has any legal implications.   
There is no such thing as getting lost, only discovering new places and paths.

Chris Campbell 778919755four

Speycatr

• Surfer
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
Hello Ladies & Gents,
Cataraft owner (Coquitlam)here and prospective member - yes there is what seems like a lack of recreational rafters in British Columbia however they are out there.  If your intention is to branch out to include other types of whitewater boaters in your club a name change will reflect this change in direction (my understanding is rafters or canoers were never unwelcome in the Vancouver Kayak club however - please correct me if I'm wrong).  While a change in name to something such as the Vancouver Whitewater club or assosciation will seem more inviting to other boaters might I suggest considering a change in geography in the name as well. For example Washington has the WRRR (Washington Recreational River Runners) which has rafters, kayakers, catarafters, inflatable kayak owners, etc that team up for various formal and informal club runs in and out of state/country. While BC is a fair bit larger than Washington since the majority of our population in comparison is on the south coast I don't think it would be unreasonable to change the name to something like the BC whitewater club or BC whitewater assosciation or perhaps the BC whitewater runners or something along those lines. Thanks for listening - Scott

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
Hey Scott,

The executive discussed such an option at length, I would be very interested in hearing from you as we have some ideas for the future that you may be interested in. Give me a call, 778-919-7554

And no, while we have never officially excluded rafts and canoes etc, we did have some Washington rafters show up for our festival a few years back without first being certain they could join in, they were  ecstatic when we told them they could join and we do even shuttle them.  And they did say had they known that more of their friends would've shown up.  From that point on I've made a bit of a goal to ensure the club scene is more inclusive right from the start.

Speycatr

• Surfer
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
Hey Chris thanks for the reply! I'm presently at home under the weather right now (what was just a light cough last night has developed into a bad cough & fever today) and am presently "under the influence" of 2 different type of Buckleys (oh man that stuff is awful - it's like the liquid form of Vicks vapo rub!).  I will give you a call when I'm thinking straighter later this week but if I forget for some odd reason give me a shout 604-833-4301 - thanks again, Scott

Curtis

• VKC Member
  • Wheeler
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »
Hey Chris,

Is Vancouver Whitewater Association gonna be an option?

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
@curtis

I haven't read far enough into the rules reguarding the names of club, society and association. At this time, however I have noted that clubs usually fall under an association so there may be the answer within itself. It will be a little while until we are fully ready for the name change, I have a bunch of paperwork before we start that

ipaddletoo

• VKC Member
  • Roller
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
There is an old saying,  if it isn't broken  don't  fix it. I think a name change is not needed. Let's  keep the one we have.

ipaddletoo
Gordon Stark
Beth Stark

Phone #.  250-295-0705

Speycatr

• Surfer
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
I'm personally fond of "British Columbia Whitewater Association" - a few reasons:

While a name change is superficial to some degree, it does have some importance if you intend for the name to represent the members and what the organization does & performs. The key here is with this name change is, does the VKC want to expand it's scope and type/number of membership that it represents?

If this is true:

Since the club operates on many British Columbia Rivers and not just Vancouver (& area) rivers, nor are all the members from Vancouver I think that would be a bit more inclusive & enticing to other potential members and/or make them feel more welcome if they aren't from the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley even.  Some may see "Vancouver" and if they are from out of town may attach a bit of a regional bias to that. It's not they may be so superficial that they view the Vancouver Kayak club as it presently stands as a bunch of city slickers looking to kayak & pillage their out of town rivers based on the present name of the club alone, but more correct to say "Well they're from Vancouver and I'm not, so who do I link up with?"

"Whitewater" vs "Kayak" - as it presently stands the Vancouver KAYAK club seems to be limited to Kayakers (even though we know it is not technically just kayakers and more inclusive than that). Instead using the word "Whitewater" would represent all boaters who have an interest in whitewater.  Again this comes down to whether the club is interested in changing it's scope.

Finally, Club vs Association: I can not speak to the legalities or differences in this regard with respect to the terms "Club" vs "Association" in Canada.

Club is defined as: an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity.

Association is defined as: a group of people organized for a joint purpose.

To me "Club" sounds more exclusive, and more intimate which I think is entirely appropriate for a group of like minded or typed boaters such as a group of Kayakers looking to improve and further the aims of individuals and the sport. "Association" seems a bit more all encompassing, bigger, broader, but not as tight knit. Since boaters of like types tend to connect a bit more for obvious reasons, I think "Club" is entirely appropriate if you intent to represent mainly one boating type (i.e. Kayakers). I think as soon as you want to start representing (at least in your name anyways) all or most whitewater boaters the broader term "Association" has merit here as it's a group of people who associate together for their common interest in whitewater.

Also look at other similar organizations near by. Not that you have to copy what other groups are doing but there is the Oregon Whitewater Association, the Idaho Whitewater Association, the Washington Recreational River Runners, etc.  Personally from a representation stand point I think an association that represents a larger geographical area, and a larger numbers/types of boaters will command more respect and attention on river issues in British Columbia. The question is whether the VKC wants to be this organization?  You guys are probably as far as I know one of the best organization whitewater clubs in BC so are poised to take something like this on.

AS a relatively new member of the VKC as of a few days ago I hope you appreciate my outside the box input here.

Thanks, Scott

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
We covered some of this at the AGM, we may have an intent of starting an entirey new Whitewater organization for all of BC based on recreational boaters only,  after discussion with the executive and the members the choice was made to still try to keep our part of the organization locally to Vancouver, however that being said if  in the future end up starting a provincial recreational organization, That might be the time to use that the association portion of the name. I still need to look into the leagal use

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
looks like we will be going with "Vancouver Whitewater Club"

I had some discussion with other executives and members and the same comments came up each time, which were pointing out that we are a club, and we don't want to take on the title of Association, simply because it implies something we are not. We are first and foremost a social club, we don't have aspirations to become an all encompassing association, at least not yet.

Thanks for all the votes and comments, I would reply to them all but I only have so much time, but with good reasoning the membership (at least the ones that showed up to the AGM) voted in favor of the name change to help promote the club and represent the club in the best way possible.

We didnt end up adding the whitewater association to the list for the reasons above, and beacuse it would mess up the results as people had already voted, we would need to have done a second round to make it fair. but given the replies I would count that it got 3-4 votes.

cheers to all and keep your eyes on the forum for all the upcoming events

Chris

Speycatr

• Surfer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Hey Chris,

Do I detect a hint of "settling" for this name? (LOL) "Looks like we will be going with....." (kidding).

Nice job, thanks! Scott

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
yes we are now going with VWC, as it won the popular vote unlike government elections.

ipaddletoo

• VKC Member
  • Roller
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 02:20:17 PM »
Hi Chris, as we are changing  the  club name,  I would suggest that once it is final that we have new club decals made up.  What  better way is there to get the new club name out there  than to have it on the back of  your car or truck . :)
ipaddletoo
Gordon Stark
Beth Stark

Phone #.  250-295-0705

Chris Campbell

• VKC Executive
  • Looper
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
we are already on it they will be out for the festival also we are going to keep the old logo on the new site for a while for recognition, but we also have a new logo from a previous festival that has been revamped. we will launch soon and will welcome input.